About Us: Our History and NOW
By decree of the Most Reverend Bishop Jules B. Jeanmard, first Bishop of Lafayette Diocese, Our Lady of Fatima Parish was carved from Cathedral Parish of St. John the Evangelist with 700 families and formally established on Easter Sunday, April 17, 1949. A generous 12-acre land donation from the J. L. Whittington Family made possible the first Parish building groundbreaking on October 25, 1949. This groundbreaking was for a front school building. It would double as a Church, upstairs rectory and classroom building for eight years until its future use as a cafeteria/auditorium. The present day Church and a convent were formally dedicated on November 21, 1958. Fatima Parish is currently home to approximately 1395 families, totaling2 4456 members.